Monday, January 19, 2009

My Scrappin' Space

This is my humble but well loved scrap space. When we bought our home a little over a year ago, one of the things I was adamant about was that I wanted a space that I could have for scrappin'. Originally this room was one large, unfinished, basement room. It measured approximately 13'x20' and was completely unfinished - concrete floor, no sheetrock, bare lightbulbs hanging from the joists, and not nearly enough electrical outlets. So we hired someone to come in and frame the wall out to divide the space in two (and do all of the sheetrock & texturing) and an electrician to upgrade all of the electrical. Then DH took care of all of the trim work, the vinyl floor, and painting. Didn't he do a great job? Behind curtain is a storage area where DH built me floor to ceiling and wall to wall shelving for food storage since the kitchen pantry is rather small. The shelves above my table and to the right of my desk are made from scraps from that project. Eventually bifold doors will go where the curtains are that divide the two areas. Fabric for curtains just fit better into the budget at this point. As you can probably tell, I share this space. The Webkinz covered computer belongs to the kids. One of the things I love about how I set up the furniture is that while I am scrapping I can see what the kids are doing on the computer. The other desk (not covered in scrap stuff) belongs to DH. Not only does he work from home occasionally, but he also wanted to be able to spend time with me while I'm scrappin'. Isn't that sweet? He made his desk by making two bookshelves for support and then installed a prefab kitchen counter from Lowe's for the desktop. It only cost about $40 total for his desk. The kids' computer table and the dresser I use for storage are a matched set I purchased for $50 at the Humane Society Thrift Store. They were a dark green and rather beat up. I stripped them and repainted them white and added hardware to the dresser. The shelves on top of the dresser are actually a bookshelf that was also a little worse for wear. We merely took the damaged back off of it and bolted it to the wall for extra storage space. I had high hopes of the table behind my desk being used as a secondary work area, but it has become more of a storage area. The bins hold my CTMH cardstock & papers. Maybe someday I can purchase more Cropper Hopper storage for them. The little drawers on the table (behind the cricut) store my Coluzzle Templates, punches, extra scissors, etc. All of my CTMH stamps are in cd crates from the dollar store. The storage drawers next to my table & in front of my desk hold various crafting supplies since I do more than just scrapping. All of my colored pencils and what not are in pint size mason jars I simply tied a ribbon around the neck. Simple, cheap, functional, and doesn't look too bad if I do say so myself. So if you have made it this far....sorry for babbling....here are the pics.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Okay, I just have to brag about 2 of my girls for this next pic. The artwork hanging above my shelf was done by my DD's a few years ago. Kirstyn created the piece in the middle when she was in 1st grade and Allison created the other two when she was in the 4th grade. I don't save very much of their artwork - but I absolutely love these pieces!
Photobucket

Okay, and last but not least, this is my scrappin' buddy Rosie. If I am in my room, guaranteed she is hanging out under my desk. She just wants to be where momma is. She is such a loyal companion.

Photobucket

Oh, one last thought - yes that is an airplane light you are seeing hanging down from the ceiling. DH loves all things having to do with flight. He got this light for Christmas last year - isn't it soooo cool?

2 comments:

Susan said...

You have a terrific space. How great that your hubby has a desk nearby to spend time with you.

Stamping with Heather said...

Wow - what a lovely and organized space you have! My dogs end up curled up under my crafty desk too - built in foot warmers I guess :-)