Saturday, April 11, 2009

So many challenges & so little time!

I've tried to do multiple challenges this week and while I've completed several, it's been hard to find the time to post them! I very nearly titled this post "The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly"! LOL Do you ever have something in mind for a project and it just doesn't come off as well as you would've liked it to? Well I've had that experience this week, along with also absolutely loving a couple of my creations. This first card is from the Monday "Try a New Technique Challenge" over on SCS. I loved their take on it, but I also had a picture in my mind of a card I wanted to recreate. My grandmother sent me this card for my birthday, and while it's a storebought Hallmark card, I loved the design and colors and was inspired by it. Photobucket
And here is the card I came up with by combining the colors from the card she sent me and the challenge on SCS. Photobucket
After I had some Colonial White CS cut and scored in the proper dimensions, I used the Ritzy Ribbon stamp set from CTMH along with Hydrangea, Orchid Bouquet, Bubblegum & Versamark Inks along with clear embossing powder to decorate the base of the flower pot. I used a cuttlebug embossing folder on the rim of the pot as well as a small scalloped punch from EK Success. I had originally used a different punch, but didn't like how it turned out, so that is why the rim is as short as it is. The flowers were stamped using the With Love stamp set from CTMH and the same colors as the base of the flower pot. I cut them out and used Paper Studio brads for the centers. The "leaves" are from the Serendipity stamp set using Clover Meadow Ink (both from CTMH). The clear tag is from the Tim Holtz line. I used a piece of Colonial White CS and the Easter Eggs stamp set (for the background design) and the Say It in Style stamp set for the sentiment (both from CTMH).

This next card is also from an SCS challenge - Tuesday's Color Challenge using Bashful Blue, So Saffron, and Close to Cocoa. I didn't have these SU colors, but I do have all of the CTMH colors. I substituted Heavenly Blue, Honey, and Cocoa. The stamp set is Fresh Spring Things from The Angel Company. The floral paisleys were embossed using a cuttlebug embossing folder. I then ran the pieces across the honey inkpad. I wasn't completely thrilled with how that looked, so I used a prismacolor marker to color in the other areas with a soft blue and liked it much better. I used a small amount of liquid applique on the sheep, and totally love how he turned out. These color challenges definitely get me trying to think outside the box.
Photobucket


This next card was a So Sketchy Sunday Challenge on Mary's blog. I'm happy with how it turned out overall, except that the "s" in "yourself" did not show up very well and I didn't realize it until AFTER I embossed it. Don't you just hate when that happens? I used the Be Yourself stamp set (CTMH May SOTM), Serendipity paper pack (CTMH), Dutch Blue Ink & CS (CTMH)
PhotobucketPhotobucket
And finally, here is the last challenge card I've created so far.... this card take care of two challenges....The Color Chef #1 Challenge on Kelly's blog & Wednesday Sketch Challenge 223 on SCS.
Photobucket
The colors are Sweet Leaf, Breeze, and White Daisy from CTMH. I used the new Tender Tags stamp set (CTMH June SOTM), Cuttlebug embossing folder, Karen Foster Scrapper's Floss for the handstitching and I'm not sure of the brand on the snaps. They are closer to an Ocean color rather than breeze, but go well with it. Once again, I rubbed an inkpad over the embossing to make it pop. The breeze square has tone on tone stamping. The picture really doesn't do it justice. I really like how this card turned out.

Sorry to post so many pictures and be so wordy. As I pondered on the challenges I participated in this week, I realized that while not all of our projects turn out the way we want them to, it is a creative process. The process and the learning are really what's important. Each challenge that we participate in helps us learn, grow, and discover - our likes, dislikes, style, etc. So while I really did want to name this post "The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly", I really did learn something about my art and myself as I created each of these projects. I hope that you'll try something new to work outside of your box or challenge yourself and perhaps learn much in the process. Happy Scrappin'!

8 comments:

Sonia Kertznus said...

Hello... I was looking at all your cards and they are wonderful, I love the sheep stamp, it's super cute... I use to be a CTMH iconsultant, and had to resign cause I was going broke...lol...
Thank you for visiting my blog...HUGS...SK :)

Betty aka ZacksNana said...

Oh I love your take on Grandma's store bought card. You did a terrific job!

Where did you live in Texas? I have lived in Houston, College Station and now Allen (north of Dallas).

Jenny said...

Aww...I love your little lamb card!

Sarah said...

I love all the cards! You have been BUSY. I love the sheep! So cute.

Silli said...

your cards are so beautiful. I love it! Happy day for you!

Loretta Rodger said...

Wow! You've been very busy! All of your creations are great!

Denise said...

Wow Jen!! I love, love, love the flower pot with the flowers card that you made. It makes me think of spring and makes me smile just looking at it. I finally got pictures of the Easter Egg invites my kids made up on our blog. Thanks for the tidbit on stamps at Michael's for the kids. They love them and the 20% off coupon! It is so fun to look at your blog for ideas.

SamieVt said...

Jen,
Your take on the 'Hallmark' card was breathtaking. All of your cards are beautiful. I struggle with color combos and really liked your MS. card! Great work! Thanks for sharing.