Saturday, May 23, 2009

Bread Recipes - a different form of art!

Since bread baking has kept me busy this week, I thought I'd share the recipes I demonstrated for the class at church. If you get around to making them, I'd love to hear how they turned out and how you like them. :) The french bread recipe looks really tedious and not worth the effort, but I assure you that it is well worth your time. My favorite way to make it is with half white flour and half fresh ground whole wheat flour. Try it, I'm sure you'll like it!

100% Whole Wheat Bread

3 cups warm water
3/4 cup dry milk powder
2 TB. yeast
1/2 cup honey
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup oil ( I use olive oil)
8 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

Combine water, milk powder, and honey. Stir well. Sprinkle yeast over the sweetened liquid and let sit for 10 minutes. Add half of the flour and mix well. Let sit for 20 minutes. Add salt, oil, and remainder of flour and mix well. Cover and let rise for 60-70 minutes. Punch down and then let rise again for another 60-70 minutes. Shape into two loaves and place in greased bread pans, seam side down. Let rise about 30 minutes. Bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees. Cool on cooling racks.

French Bread

1 1/2 TB. yeast
1 TB. salt
3 TB. sugar
6 cups flour
1/2 cup oil
2 1/2 cups warm water

Mix water, sugar, oil, and yeast together. Add half of the flour (let rest for 20 minutes if using whole wheat). Add remainder of flour and the salt. Mix well. Let rise for one hour - punching down every ten minutes. At this point you can either shape it into a french bread loaf and bake immediately, or you can place it in a greased loaf pan and let rise a bit before baking. Bake at 400 degrees until well browned and sounds hollow when tapped. (approx. 25 minutes)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'm lovin the recipes!!! thanks so much- not much of a baker but I might just try my hand