Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Confessions & Ramblings of an Overwhelmed Scrapper!

Have you ever felt just completely overwhelmed with tasks that have been set before you so much so that you don't feel like doing any of them? Well, that is the boat I am in at the moment. I am teaching a class at church tomorrow night about making whole wheat bread. Can I just say that I am so tired of baking bread, yet I have tons more to bake! I've been working on a recipe and trying to tweak it to get it to something that I am happy with. I think I am about 90% there. I also have quite a bit of laundry to get caught up on before we head out for the holiday weekend. If it were socially correct, I think I'd rather run around naked! Of course, I will spare everyone the horrid sight and get caught up on the laundry. LOL

I made some cards for a card club at church last week, as well as some thank you cards this week for a friend who paid me to make her some cards. I just haven't posted them. Here's where the confession comes in - I've just been plain lazy! LOL Nevermind that Farm Town on Facebook is amazingly addictive. It's probably a good thing I don't remember which particular friend invited me to play that game because I'd probably have to put a "hit" out on them on Mafia Wars (another Facebook time sucker)! ;)

Now for more ramblings and musings...As most of you know, I have my own scrap space. It is a great space and I love being in it. I have tons of stamps, papers, embellishments, etc to choose from. An overabundance really. I find myself wondering when is enough enough? I have become rather choosy about the stamp sets and supplies that I buy. That has helped, but it seems like there are so many companies out there vying for my money. So many ads, so many cute items, and so little of a budget! So anyways, I really feel like my mojo has just up and left me. I'm sure it is temporary. It's not the first time, nor will it be the last I am sure. I've sold off about 30 stamp sets that I wasn't using so that they could feel some love (and ink) in a new home. The reality is though that I still have 100 stamp sets, 60+ inkpads, and about 3 feet worth of paper. I won't even get into how many yards of ribbon I think I have! LOL

In addition to ads and companies out there vying for my money, I've come to realize that there is a plethora of blogs to read and challenges to participate in. Don't get me wrong, I love challenges, but I find myself being overwhelmed with choosing which ones I participate in. Many of them have contests involved. I think perhaps that is why I am overwhelmed. I participate in contest after contest, yet I never win anything. I realized that I was looking for validation that I am good enough through these contests rather than just enjoying what I do. I find myself wondering how many other scrappers have found themselves in that same position?

So anyways, I guess I will put an end to my ramblings and pose a question for all of you scrappers out there. Well, maybe more than one question. LOL

1.) How do you decide which challenges to participate in?
2.) How do you know when enough is enough?
3.) How do you ignore all of the ads for the latest and greatest gadgets, papers, stamps, etc?
4.) How do you get your mojo back?

I promise I'll take pictures and post artwork later. I pinky promise! :) Until next time, keep scrappin' and may your mojo not run dry!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I SO feel your pain!
I got into sketches/challenges...then got right out again LOL.
I only do a challenge now if I "feel" something for the sketch/challenge..otherwise forget it. Somedays the sketch helps my mojo other days it kills it!
I spent 1 whole Saturday once doing just challenges...just ignored my kids and house.....that was when I said my priorities are out of whack.
Sadly I am still in the 'accumulate everything' phase of papercrafting!!!
My Mojo leaves me on a regular basis...sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
The only validation you need is from yourself. Does it feel good to create...did you relax and unwind in your spot...then it's all good!!!
You are an extremely talented crafter and were one of the original blogs I started following.....when you start feeling happier, more at peace, and less stressed I bet your mojo comes back with bells on!

Grace said...

I have to totally agree with Sarah on this...all of the challenges can get really overwhelming when you think you need to do all of them. I have many on my blog list, but I only participate in the ones that I feel like I can accomplish with relative ease. The challenges are supposed to be fun and enjoyable, not work! That is my humble opinion though.
I really don't know what it feels like to be overwhelmed with so many supplies. I have so few that I have to use the same ones over and over...I am hoping to eventually expand my 'stock':) It is so tempting to want to get all the latest and greatest things, at least I know I am tempted, but I find that if I don't impulse buy when I see all this fabulous new stuff, eventually the desire to 'have to have it' wears off and then I am perfectly content with getting nothing...though it is hard to pass up a really good deal:)
You are far more talented and creative than me, so me giving you advice is kind of comical:)...but I do want to know that I love checking out your blog. I am always so impressed with what you and all of these other fabulous creative crafters are able to make. No worries your mojo will come back!:)

Rachel said...

OK, so I haven't actually read thru your entire post on this simply because I was laughing so hard. My hubby and I were just talking about this. I've learned over the last few months- do for you- because it's in your heart. No need for the newest gadget- people will love your work simply because your work is lovable!

I bagged the "stress" of challenges. If they fit or call out to me, I'll do them. But in the end it's all about you and your talent. If mojo comes from a sketch in the form of challenge, that's OK- take it and make it yours (noting the source of inspiration of course).

Jenn, as a frequent visitor, I LOVE your blog...keep up the good work and let YOUR colors shine thru!