Thursday, June 25, 2009

Embellishment Storage

Hi, my name is Jenn, and I am addicted to embellishments! Whew! That's out of the way. ;) I'm sure like me, many of you buy embellishments that you just have to have - especially if it sparkles. LOL Anyways, I've been trying to come up with a good solution to store my embellishments and still keep them visible AND within reach. A couple of years ago for Christmas, DH bought me one of the "tacklebox" type things made for scrapbookers. I didn't have the heart to tell him that it barely held a small portion of what I own!

Then I saw that a company (possibly BoBunny I think) came out with embellishments that you could buy in little tins with clear lids that were magnetic and you could buy the metal strips to hang them on your walls. I thought they were cute and a great idea, but overpriced. Then I thought about buying one of those magnet boards you decorate yourself at the craft store and making my own magnetic storage, but I thought the size board I needed was overpriced. Have I mentioned how cheap I am???

So then I thought about the magnetic noteboards that I made for the craft shows. Like I've said before, people tend to either love them or hate them. I am in the "love" category, and thought that they would make a perfect surface to put my embellishments on. I do have space for one more, but haven't had the heart to ask DH to add one more anchor & screw to the wall. His work hours have been crazy and have finally settled down for the moment and I just hate to bug him with a "honey do" list.

I've had the noteboard hanging on my wall for quite some time now and decided to use the same paper pack on the embellishment boards (Whoops-a-Daisy Level 2 Paper Pack from CTMH). They just looked too plain left undecorated. The small clear craft jars are from CTMH. They are what the embellishments came in. You can buy the empty jars for $3.50 for 6 I think. The larger round jars are from the craft store, for about the same price as the small ones. I also made use of a few baby food containers that I had left from the ones my SIL gave to me. They are great for storing larger items. I bought magnets at Michael's with 40% off coupons. Without a coupon it's $7 for a 50 pack. They are good strong magnets - so totally worth the price. I used E6000 craft glue to adhere the magnets to the craft jars. Be warned - that is some seriously stinky stuff! As you can see, I even magnetized my containers of scrapper's floss - it makes it so much easier to grab what I need. Oh, the cookie sheets I purchased at Dollar Tree. Can't get much better than that on the cost! LOL So my entire project cost me less than $15 and everything is not only visible, but within reach of my desk.

Sorry for the poor picture quality. My scrap room is in the basement and doesn't have windows, so I have to make do with what light is available. I'd love to know what you think about my storage solution - as well as hear about your creative storage solutions! Until next time, happy scrappin'!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

6 comments:

Leslie said...

Neat idea. I bought the storage containers from CTMH and they are leaning against my desk. I have two desks and two large bookcases in my scraproom so I can't even get to the walls to hang anything. Both my oldest children have moved out, but not all their STUFF. It is stacked in boxes in my scraproom. I have enough room to walk in and sit down.

Sarah said...

Soooo cool...I would like to order a few LOL...How much do you charge..do you accept coupons :-)
Great idea Jenn.

Megan said...

LOVE your organizing! =) hmmm...puts me in the mood to do the same!

Heidi said...

Neat idea, alot of work though girl! I bet they look great in your craft area too!

Michelle Forrest aka transprntbutterfly said...

This is a wonderful idea!

Stephanie said...

What a great idea! I made cookie sheet advent calendars for gifts last Christmas. They were a big hit and these would be too :)