Saturday, July 4, 2009

Color Chef Challenge #12

I finally got around to participating in one of Kelly Jo's Color Chef Challenges over at KJ's Stamp Pad. I've enjoyed looking at her color challenges but just haven't had the time to participate. We've been hanging out at home today and just relaxing. Here in a bit we'll head off to the park for a picnic and fireworks.

This was a rather easy color challenge for me. I guess it doesn't get much easier than a red, white, & blue color combo, but to tell you the truth, the 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays (Christmas is the other). :)

The stars are embossed with silver embossing tinsel. The blue squares behind the stars were created using the wax paper resist technique. Thanks Meranda for showing me this! It's so easy and quick it's not even funny. You crinkle up a piece of wax paper and flatten it back out and place it over a piece of glossy cardstock. Then you iron the wax paper and it transfers the wax to your cardstock. Then you ink up your brayer and go over the cardstock until you have the desired amount of ink and evenness of color. I used Star Spangled Blue ink from CTMH. Meranda said you can use glossy photo paper, but I wasn't as happy with the results as I was when I used glossy cardstock. I guess it's personal preference and what you have on hand. ;)

Other colors used are Holiday Red & White Daisy (both CTMH). The stamp is also from CTMH - July Word Puzzle. I love the word puzzle stamp sets (there is one for each month). They are so versatile. I used a bit of Martha Stewart glitter on the stars at the bottom. The ribbon is from The Ribbon Retreat.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy and that you are having a great 4th of July!

Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

Sarah said...

This is great! I love those stars sooo twinkly. Thanks for explaining the wax paper technique...I had no idea how to do that and it looks awesome.

Leslie said...

Jenn, very pretty and patriotic. Love the stars. If you get a chance check out the blue ribbon star I made at Pandascrapper.blogspot.com Easy peasy and I want to make more. Want to try the wax paper technique, but don't have glossy cardstock. I have heard several people say it doesn't work as well with photo paper. shucky darns.

Kelly Jo said...

I am so glad you finally played along!!! The card is great. Totally have to try this technique- thanks so much for playing along!