Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Pizza Boxes

Well I suppose this is proof that a scrapbooker REALLY will alter ANYTHING! I bought a package of individual serving size pizzas at Sam's Club, and when the box was empty thought that it might come in useful for wrapping presents or something since it was such a good sturdy box. I guess that part of me comes from being raised in part by my grandmother who was a child of the depression. We reduced, reused, and recycled long before it was chic or cool. LOL I've included a "before" pic of the pizza box because as my son said "Mom, if I hadn't seen you working on that yesterday, I'd never have known it was a pizza box to begin with!".

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This project is part of a birthday gift for a friend's daughter. It was only after I had the paper adhered that I realized it also was shaping up nicely to fit the parameters of Amy's Scrap or Dare Challenge #10 (I used light pink & red & the flower is homemade). The papers are Bella Rose DSP (SU), Cardstock is Tulip from CTMH & Bazzill. I printed the Strawberry Shortcake image off of the web. Her name is done with Typewriter Keys Alpha (CTMH) with Tulip Ink and embossed (to keep it from turning orange when I added the mod-podge). I used a fiskars scalloped edge border punch and a bit of Crystal Ice Stickles in the holes of the border.

This cute little pizza box is based on a tutorial from SCS. I altered the tutorial slightly. I wanted a sturdier box than what just a good heavyweight cardstock could provide. You know that whole reduce, reuse, recycle thing talked about above? Well that came into play again. You see, I save cereal and granola bar boxes when they are empty (as well as other packaging), so that I can have a nice stash of varying weights of chipboard on hand without having to go and pay an arm and a leg for unpainted cardboard! LOL

I wanted to have a pattern on the inside as well as the outside, so I adhered patterned paper (Mimi paper pack from The Angel Company) with my ATG gun and Zig two way glue. Once that was all dry, I commenced with the tutorial as written. I will next time however use a lighter weight chipboard. I used some that was from a package of fruit cocktail in ind. serving pop top cans, and it was too heavy for this. I think cereal box weight would be okay though - I just didn't have any pieces big enough from a cereal box. The stamp is from The Angel Company. The cupcake wrapper and cherry are paper pieced and I used Sugar Coating Glitter for the "icing". The tag came with the Mimi paper pack (sentiment is from the cupcake stamp set also).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks for stopping by. I should have another project or two to share before the week is out. I hope everyone has a great week!

5 comments:

Vicki said...

Jenn, you are a woman after my own heart!! My whole family teases me about my cardboard! These boxes are precious! You did such an awesome job! Blessings to you!

Spyder said...

Me too, I can never throw cardboard out, it's sooooooooooo useful. Lovely make ! (I hope you ate the Pizza first!!)

((Lyn))

Penny said...

This is too funny. I thought about covering a pizza box the other day but I was all... people might think that's weird if they ever found out... lol. I think it came out great, thanks for going first... lol

Gina said...

What a great idea, you would never know it was a pizza box. I remember my grandmother, also a child of the depression, altering things from one use to another.

Sonia said...

Wow! look amazing! Great idea, Great Job!!!

**Sony**