Friday, March 5, 2010

Paper Flower Tutorial

Okay, so I've never done a tutorial before. Please be kind. ;) Seriously though, I've never done one before and I hope this turns out. There's a first time for everything, right? Anyways, I came across this idea on a blog or another tutorial or something...I honestly can't remember where. It's a rather brilliant idea I think. Like the blog where I found it said, with "vintage" items being so hot right now, it's a no brainer to make your own. I confess I had a little bit of a hard time with buying a book a the thrift store just so I could tear it apart. I'm a total book lover and generally prefer to actually read them. LOL I apologize in advance for the poor pictures...my scrap space just doesn't have the best lighting. Anyways, I look forward to hearing your comments....good, bad, and ugly. Enjoy!

Photobucket
Supplies Needed: Distress Ink (light & dark), flower shaped punch, 1 large brad, 1-2 pages out of a book you no longer want. I went to the thrift store and flipped through books until I found the size and type of font that I wanted for the look I was going for.

Photobucket
Punch out your shapes. If you flip your punch over so you can see where you are lining it up at it helps so that you don't end up with blank space from in between paragraphs or where a paragraph indented.

Photobucket
Using the lighter color of ink, lay your shapes on a scrap of paper and rub the inkpad over them. I used Antique Linen Distress Ink, but I think any lighter beige/tan ink would work well, such as CTMH's Bamboo Ink.
Photobucket
Crumple your flowers up and then flatten them out again.
Photobucket
Laying them flat on your scrap paper, rub them with your darker ink color. I used CTMH's Chocolate distress ink.
Photobucket
Layer your shapes on top of each other with the petals alternating. Pierce the middle and secure with a brad.
Photobucket
Once secured with a brad, scrunch the petals all up again and then start laying them out and arranging them how you want them. I think it would look really great if the flower layers weren't all the same size. Alas, this is the only flower punch that I have at the moment. I have also seen this technique done with cardstock or paper and using scalloped circles. I just thought this was an awesome technique and love the vintage feel that it gives to a project. Here's a finished project that I used a flower on.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Supplies Used:
Paper: CTMH Unforgettable level 2 paper pack
Stamps: CTMH Piece of Cake (February 2010 Stamp of the Month)
Inks: CTMH Blush, Juniper, and Chocolate, Antique Linen Distress Ink
Misc: CTMH Chocolate Bigger Brad, SU Top Note Die, Ribbon from The Ribbon Retreat, Gold Embossing Powder, White Gel Pen, Prismacolor Markers, Glossy Accents, Crackle Accents, SU Scallop Trim Border Punch, notebook is from the dollar spot at Michael's

5 comments:

Tammy Lea Pinchard said...

GREAT job on the tutorial!!! Was very easy to follow, great wording along with the pics!

Your CTMH sistah,
Tammy

janaz said...

Great tuturial - VERY easy to follow! I love how you did the flowers - I made some of the ones with the scallop circle but I love your flower ones. Thanks for sharing! :)

gale said...

Beautiful flower-you did an awesome job on this tutorial!!

Sheila Bennett said...

Great looking flower. What a wonderful way to recycle some old print, and a good idea to buy old books second-hand.

And you did a fabulous job on your tutorial.

Naomi said...

I think you did a good job on the tutorial. If I didn't already know how to make that flower, I would have no questions after reading this!