Friday, May 14, 2010

Directions for Crocheted Flowers

I've had a couple of requests for the directions for the crocheted flowers I made for the blog candy. I found this pattern ages ago over on SCS and printed it out. I wish I knew the last name of the person who created the pattern to give proper credit, but alas I only know her first name since the pattern is titled "Mandy's Favorite 5-Petal Flower Pattern". :)

Materials: Any size hook (depending on size of flower you want) and any weight yarn.

I prefer to use a really small hook (I don't remember what size off of the top of my head), and the really thin cotton crochet thread (white). I use white because then I can dye it whatever color I want. Details on dying follow after the pattern. :)

Round 1: Ch 5, join into a ring w/sl st in 1st ch.

Round 2: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), work 9 dc in ring, join to top of ch w/sl st -- 10 sts.

Round 3: **Ch 2, work 3 dc in next st, ch 2 sl st in next st** five times. Fasten off.

For a different color center, try changing yarn colors after round 2. Experiment with different weight yarns and hook sizes. To layer a slightly smaller flower on top, go down one hook size from the larger flower.

For Dying:

I mixed reinker with rubbing alcohol in a small, shallow container. All you do is dip the flower in the reinker/alcohol solution. Pull it out and then pat dry with a paper towel. Set aside to dry completely before using. Easy peasy.

* the longer you leave the flower in the solution, the brighter the color.

* the less solution you pat out of the flower, the brighter the color.

* make sure you are using cotton yarn so that it will take the dye evenly.

I will warn you, these are VERY addicting to make! So don't say I didn't warn you when you can't stop making them. ;)

3 comments:

gale said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I love making crocheted flowers-I'll try it using your directions.

Martha said...

great tutorial, would love to see pictures of them ;)

CathyRose said...

Jenn, I got the crocheted flowers in the mail today and they are adorable. My granddaughter asked if she could have a couple and she proceded to make a darling hair barrette out of them. Thanks so much for the flowers.