Friday, September 17, 2010

September's Card/Technique Club

In honor of back to school, rather than making cards this month we made an altered spiral notebook. This month I taught about making embellishments and altering those you have to fit a project. The main embellishment that I taught how to make was a folded flower. I think it's called an Iris Fold Flower but don't quote me on that. I can't even remember where I learned how to do it so I can't even provide you with a website to go to. So if anyone knows where there's a link, please share and I'll edit my post to add it. :)

Trying to use up some of my stash, I actually cut different papers for each notebook and let everyone choose what they wanted color wise. It was a big hit. I just wish I'd thought to take pics of everyone's notebooks since they are all different than mine that I did up as an example.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The flower is made by punching out 8 circles from double sided paper. I used a 1 1/4" punch. Then you fold the circle in thirds so that your folded piece resembles a piece of pie. Then I use a slightly larger circle punch and punch out one circle from cardstock. I run it through my 1.5" Xyron to cover it completely with adhesive. Then I place my "pie" pieces on the adhesive covered circle with the sides touching and points meeting in the middle. You may have to refold a couple of pieces to get them to fit properly. Well I did anyways! Top with a brad or button to finish the look. I used a faux button....details below. Clear as mud?

Okay, for the faux button (this works great if you're out of a particular color of button)....using a small circle punch (I think I used a 1/2" or 3/8" punch), punch one circle out of cardstock in whatever color you want. I daubed the circle with ink purposely giving it a bit of a mottled look. Then I pierced two holes in the center and threaded scrapper's floss through it. I secured the floss with a glue dot and then glued it to the center of my flower. I then covered the "button" with glossy accents to give it shine and dimension. And there you have it...a button in any color you want!

All supplies are CTMH. Veranda Level 2 paper pack and Follow Your Heart stamp set.

2 comments:

gale said...

That is so pretty! I love the flower-it looks so cool.

CathyRose said...

The notebook is so pretty! I love making notebooks for gifts and they are always so appreciated.