Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Trash to Treasure Gift Box

Do you ever find yourself saving things because "well, they might be useful at some point"? Or how about going to the thrift store and finding little boxes, tins, etc and thinking that they could easily be repurposed into something else? Yep, that's me. I do that more often than not. LOL

My grandma likes to write letters. She has friends she keeps in touch with as well as her kids & grandkids of course. :) Needless to say she goes through a LOT of notecards. Each year for Christmas for the past couple of years I have been going through my stash of cards that I have made over the previous year and putting together a bundle of them for her (complete with envelopes). And of course, me being me, I want them to look pretty.

A while back I found a very sturdy box for 50 cents at the thrift store. It had obviously held a kid's stationary or coloring set. It had Cruella DeVille from 101 Dalmations on it. That didn't bother me too much because I figure if it's sturdy enough, it will hold up to paper, paint, and whatever else I throw at it. LOL

I forgot to get a before pic, but you can see a little of the original plum color print on the bottom lip of the box if you look closely. I tried to choose a paper pack that would coordinate with that so I wouldn't have to paint the box since I was in time crunch mode. Sorry the pics aren't better. The colors look way better in real life and the glitter in the middle of the flower stands out better too.

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

gale said...

What a great idea! It came out gorgeous too. I am just not the type that can see those items in a shop and think of something to do with them. I need to try harder.