Thursday, April 14, 2011

My First Pair of Handknit Socks

WooHoo! I did it! I actually learned how to knit socks. Even though I've finished them, I'm still in awe that I learned how to make them. They are a little tricky, but not nearly as hard as I thought they'd be.

I used yarn that my mother-in-law bought for me when they were in Belgium over the holidays. After washing, they are super duper soft. I didn't think wool could be that deliciously soft.

The only downside is that these turned out a bit too big. Not saggy baggy big, but big enough that I'm considering frogging them and starting over. I'm a little bummed by that but not too badly because it just means I get more practice with socks and I get to knit with yummy yarn. So it's all good. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

4 comments:

Sheila Bennett said...

Your socks look great! Don't you dare undo all your work by frogging them. lol

Lee Bernstein find me at KnittingIsGlutenFree.com/wp said...

WAY TO GO, JEAN! They are beautiful! They look as though you've been knitting socks forever. Great job.

Doesn't giving birth to a sock feel wonderful? It's just so cool.

My first pair came out a little large too. Readers here will probably cringe when they read this, but I bravely machine washed them in hot water, watching them almost every minute because I didn't want them to shrink too much or felt. It worked, but I had to be oh so careful.

They still stretch a bit large when I wear them, but they go back when I wash them again.

gale said...

Those are so cute. Makes me wish I could knit.

The Mama Monkey said...

darling, you talented girl!