Friday, April 13, 2012

Kool-Aid Dyed Yarn

I hadn't done any Kool-Aid dyeing since the last time our daughter was home on leave (She's in the Navy) and when she came home on leave again recently she wanted to dye yarn again. Usually when I dye yarn it ends up an all day process because I get so carried away with it. So many colors and choices and JoAnn's having plain wool yarn on sale did not help any. LOL  Here are the results of our dyeing session.

This one was my favorite. I love how the colors turned out and I probably won't be able to recreate even if my life depended on it!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This one started out as a purple and cream color yarn that self stripes. I overdyed it using Wilton's Royal Blue icing color. The pictures really don't do it justice. The colors turned out so rich and vibrant. My 13 year old daughter took this skein of yarn and made a beanie out of it using the Knifty Knitter looms in her textiles class. It turned out great.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I can't remember what flavors of Kool-Aid I used on this one but it turned out cool.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also love the way this one turned out. The inspiration for it was a skein of Deborah Norville Serenity Chunky Weight yarn that is at JoAnn's. I think the colorway is cotton candy and I just love the blend of pinks and yellows. I tried recreating it using lemonade and soarin' strawberry lemonade Kool-Aid.

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

gale said...

That is so neat. I wonder-does the color stay when you wash it? I've heard of people using kool aid to dye their hair.