Saturday, April 14, 2012

Mairead

I was looking for a fun baby pattern to make for humanitarian aid and came across the pattern for Mairead at The Yarn Connection. I will admit that there was a definite learning curve for this pattern. I learned new techniques and also had to muddle through directions where I wasn't quite sure what the designer wanted or if I was interpreting the pattern correctly. I have now finished two of these layette gowns. They turned out beautiful and I am sure that I will make more of them again at some point.

I started the white one first, got frustrated with it and put it in time out for four months. Finally felt guilty about not finishing it, also needed to start another one that my mother-in-law requested that I make for one of her co-workers. Pulled it out and started working on it again and cast on for a second one. I must have found my groove because I finished both of them in two weeks!

To be honest as tedious as doing cables can be, it was the 14" of stockinette stitch that I found mind numbing and had to really push through to finish. Thank goodness for audio books!!! Also, what kept me sane on the cabled bodice was writing the charted instructions down and marking each row as I finished it. That made a huge difference for me. For the white one I use Caron Simply Soft Brites and the aqua one is made from Loops & Threads Snuggly Wuggly baby yarn.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

gale said...

Those are adorable! I wish I could knit-I've tried but I just can't get it. Great idea to listen to audio books while you make them.